BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS
AND NOTIFICATION PROCEDURES
The Tannehill Board of Education shall transact all business at official meetings of the board. A "meeting" is defined as the gathering of a majority of members of a public body to discuss school business. Board meetings shall be regarded as public meetings. No meetings will be held by teleconference. These may be either regular, special, or emergency meetings, defined as follows:
Regular Meeting - the usual, official legal action meeting held regularly.
Special Meeting - an official legal action meeting called between scheduled regular meetings to consider specific topics as listed on the agenda.
Special meetings of the board may be called by the Superintendent/Board of Education at any time.
Emergency Meeting - an official legal action meeting held only for dealing with situations involving either injury to persons or damage to public or personal property or an immediate financial loss so severe that the 48-hour notice period of a special meeting would be impractical and increase the likelihood of injury or damage or immediate financial loss.
Notification of Meetings
Notice of all meetings of the board of education shall be made in accordance with the Oklahoma Open Meeting Law except that federal confidentiality laws take precedence and except that a board of education is not considered a public body and is not subject to the Oklahoma Open Meeting Law when the board meets for the sole purpose of considering recommendations of a multidisciplinary team and deciding the placement of any child who is the subject of such recommendations. Otherwise, a written notice of the date, time and place of the meeting will be mailed and delivered to each person, newspaper, wire service, radio station, and television station that has filed a written request for such notice. Procedures for insuring proper notice, preparing agendas, etc., are as follows:
1. Prior to December 15 each year, the board of education shall provide the county clerk a listing of the time, date, and place of all regular meetings for the coming calendar year.
2. Any change in the date, time, or place of a regular meeting shall be provided in writing to the county clerk at least ten days prior to implementing the change.
3. At least 24 hours prior to a regular or special meeting, an agenda shall be posted which shall include the date, time, and place of the meeting and the business to be undertaken at the meeting.
4. Notice of the time, date, and place of a special meeting shall be provided to the county clerk in person, in writing, or by telephone at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
5. Emergency meetings may be held without the required public notice if it is reasonably believed that delay would increase the likelihood of personal injury, property damage, or immediate financial loss to the district. The person calling an emergency meeting shall give as much advance notice as is possible in person or by telephone.
BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS AND NOTIFICATION PROCEDURES (Cont.)
6. Any person, newspaper, wire service, radio station, and/or television station may file a written request with the board clerk to receive written notice of meetings of the board of education. Such requests must be renewed annually. Persons or entities requesting written notification will not be charged a notification fee.
REFERENCE: 70 O.S. §5-118
25 O.S. §302, §303, §304, §307.1, §311