BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS
In accordance with the policy of the board of education, the following regulation shall govern visitors attending board meetings.
1. Any individual wishing to address the board of education shall communicate such wish to the superintendent by letter. The letter must state the nature of the matter to be discussed, the full name of the person making the request, and what is expected from the board. The letter must be received by the superintendent at least 72 hours prior to the next regularly scheduled meeting in order to be placed on the agenda. (The agenda must be posted twenty-four business hours prior to the meeting.) The superintendent must inform the board president of any individual or organization denied the opportunity to address the board of education.
2. The board clerk shall ask all visitors to list their names in the visitor's register.
3. Board members and administrative staff will not respond to questions from the public at the board meeting. Proper questions from members of the public may be referred to the superintendent for later report to the board. The board will not, in most instances, be able to vote on matters brought forward by the public during public participation time if such matters are not specific agenda items. Such items may be placed on the agenda for the next meeting.
4. The president of the board shall recognize speakers, maintain proper order, and adhere to time limits, if any established by the board. Specifically, the president may require all proponents of one side of an issue to elect one spokesperson. Repetitive comments by consecutive individuals will not be allowed.
5. Members of the public shall not be recognized while the board is conducting its official business.