BOARD OF EDUCATION
EXECUTIVE OFFICER - SUPERINTENDENT
The Tannehill Board of Education recognizes that the superintendent of schools is the executive officer of the board of education and the administrative head of the school system. The superintendent must hold an administrator's certificate recognized by the State Board of Education. If the superintendent is employed for the first time in Oklahoma, he or she must attend training seminars as required by the Oklahoma Department of Education. The following duties have been established for the office of the superintendent of schools.
1. The renewal of the superintendent’s contract shall be considered by the board in accordance with the superintendent's contract and announced or tabled annually. It is the duty of the president of the board to notify the superintendent as soon as possible following the board's decision.
2. The superintendent is the executive officer of the board and the leader of the educational forces of the community. The board shall seek the superintendent's recommendation on school matters.
3. The superintendent shall attend all meetings of the board, be a nonvoting member, and advise the board on all school matters.
4. The superintendent shall make recommendations to the board of candidates for principal, teacher, and supervisory positions, as well as other employees of the school system as the need arises. The board shall not normally employ a school employee against the recommendation of the superintendent. The board will direct the superintendent to make additional recommendations if necessary.
5. The superintendent shall devote himself or herself to the study of public educational trends, keep the board informed on conditions of the schools of the district, and present recommendations for the determination of policy. The superintendent shall, once policies have been established, devise ways and means for their operation and make periodic reports on the success of such policies.
6. All purchases of supplies, materials, or equipment shall be made on authority of a purchase order approved by the superintendent, within the limits established by the board.
7. Responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the child nutrition program is delegated to the superintendent. Monthly reports regarding the financial status of the program shall be made available to the board of education.
8. The superintendent shall, each year, compose a calendar reflecting the days on which school will be dismissed, when school will end for the year, etc. The calendar shall be subject to approval by the board of education.
9. The superintendent shall prepare procedures for admitting non-resident children who apply for permission to attend school in this district, and for the transfer of children who apply to attend schools in other districts.
10. The superintendent shall be responsible for the supervision of student disciplinary actions.
11. The superintendent shall be responsible for providing the ways and means for teaching the subjects required by the State Board of Education and such other subjects as may be designated or approved by the TANNEHILL Board of Education.
BOARD OF EDUCATION, EXECUTIVE OFFICER - SUPERINTENDENT (Cont.)
12. The superintendent shall administer a complete curriculum as adopted by the board of education, in conformity with the regulations established by the State Department of Education.
13. The superintendent shall have all school accounts audited each year, and a copy of it filed with the secretary of the board of education.
14. The superintendent shall visit personally all the schools of the district as often as practical, carefully observing the methods of instruction and the classroom management of teachers; suggest improvements; provide remediation of professional skills, if necessary; advise as to the best methods of instruction and classroom management; and pay special attention to the classification of students, the program of studies, and the apportionment of time allotted to each of the prescribed subjects.
15. The superintendent shall secure adequate plant facilities; standardize supplies, equipment and other materials used in the school; and formulate standard procedures for purchasing equipment in all departments of the school.
16. The superintendent shall prepare a well-coordinated budget by requiring the various divisions of the school system to participate in its development. At least quarterly, the superintendent shall provide to the board a financial analysis indicating the expenditures of the district and an opinion of the general financial condition of the district.
17. The superintendent shall have the authority to close any of the public schools in case of emergency.
REFERENCE: 70 O.S. §1-115, §116, §5-106