The Tannehill Board of Education recognizes that transportation is a necessary element of educational opportunity and, therefore, the board shall grant appropriations for transportation. Transportation is a privilege extended to students in the district only when necessary for the accomplishment of one of the following purposes:
1. To provide transportation for any child who is participating in prekindergarten, kindergarten, or early childhood program operated by the school district or any Head Start program offered by the school district.
2. To transport children whose homes are more than a reasonable walking distance, as defined by regulations of the State Board of Education, from the school attended by such child. Transportation may be provided to children whose residence is within one and one-half miles of the school attended only within the limits of time, space, and funds. Such transportation privileges shall be withdrawn if the board believes it to be in the best interest of the school district.
3. To allow, when practicable, the use of school buses for the transportation of students to school activities and on field trips that have been approved by the superintendent. Expenses for such transportation shall be paid by the students transported or by the school activity or school organization requiring the transportation. Such costs may also be paid from other private sources. Any money so collected will not be chargeable to or become a part of the school district's finances.
4. To provide adequate education facilities and opportunities which otherwise would not be available;
5. To contract for the use of school buses and other school transportation for general public use including religious, political, literary, community, cultural, scientific, mechanical, agricultural, or parental involvement purposes, and to make a reasonable charge to cover the cost of the use of school buses and other school transportation.
6. For group movements for participants to and from contests, athletic games, or other school functions under the direct auspices of the board of education:
A. Activity trips for children participating in regularly scheduled school activities within the state.
B. Activity trips for children participating in educational contests and activities with neighboring out-of-state schools for normally scheduled inter-school functions.
C. FFA and FHA trips in the state for children participating in regularly scheduled activities.
D. 4-H trips in the state, for children in regularly scheduled activities, if under the supervision of a member of the local school faculty.
E. Transportation for school children participating in educational contests and activities outside the State of Oklahoma or outside the districts in which they reside upon request from the State Director of Cooperative Extension Work in Agriculture and Home Economics (Service), or the State Director of Vocational Education, or the State Supervisor of Vocational Agriculture.
TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT (Cont.)
F. Trips for purposes connected with summer youth activities, upon approval of the school board.
G. Transportation for adults enrolled in adult and community education class.
District-owned vehicles will not be used for the following:
1. Transportation for students to and from night programs, contests, athletic games, or other school functions at the local schools.
2. Transportation for adults to and from programs, contests, athletic games, or other non-supervised school functions.
3. Transportation for non-participating students to and from contests, athletic games, or other school functions.
In accordance with state law, bus lights will be activated at all times any school bus is in operation.
REFERENCE: 47 O.S. §12-228
70 O.S. §5-130
70 O.S. §9-101
70 O.S. §9-108